Tumblelog by Soup.io
Newer posts are loading.
You are at the newest post.
Click here to check if anything new just came in.

The Truth About Medical Treatment In Uk

UK citizens who travel to another EEA (European Economic Area) country will at times require emergency healthcare treatment while away from home. However, some UK citizens and residents visit an EEA country for the sole aim of receiving planned medical treatment. Read on to find out more about how to access planned medical treatment as a UK citizen or resident while visiting any of the thirty EEA countries.

UK citizens and residents who travel to either of the EEA countries to receive planned medical treatment won't be covered by the EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) during their visit. The reason being, the EHIC is intended for emergency use only while abroad. It was never intended to allow freedom of access to all visitors during routine, non-emergency visits to EEA countries.

Talk with your GP about your plans before you leave, who'll then be in a position to refer you to your local health commissioner. The role of the local health commissioner assumes a different title from one region to another in the UK. In England, it is a Primary Care Trust; in Scotland it is local health boards and Health Commission in Wales, the NHS board of the patient's residence, and health care and social services boards in Northern Ireland. The local health commissioner will want to talk with you your treatment options as you travel abroad to an EEA country, the type of treatments that the agency is willing to return and how often you can expect to receive when you're reimbursed. If your treatment will require more attention such as follow-up medical treatment when you return home, your options will also be taken up at this point. Remember that your local health commissioner is there to inform you on the best course of action if you wish to seek medical treatment in an EEA country and that it is the responsibility of them to decide if they would be willing to reimburse some, or all, of your medical expenses that you might incur if you elect to be treated abroad.

And Even More...

When planning to go to an EEA country in order to receive medical treatment, you can apply to receive NHS funding through the E112. This is issued by the Overseas Healthcare Team in Newcastle or through Article 49, which comes under the EC Treaty. Talk to your local health commissioner to find out which would be the best choice for you.

Receiving planned medical treatment from an EEA country will require advance planning before you travel so that you know what you have to expect when you're there. Will the local health commissioner fund your treatment? How much are you likely to be reimbursed? These and other issues will be answered when your GP refers you to a local health commissioner.

Don't be the product, buy the product!